Thursday, January 9, 2014

A Medley of Delightful Mistakes


 4 January 2014


Drove down a steep, narrow ramp into a tiny parking garage. Haggled with the garage rep over the price. I said it was too high, that I was leaving. Rep shrugs, walks away. I realize I don't know how to back up and leave, so I call him back and say, okay I'll take it. Called my bluff. Well played, sir.

I met J at the Met (the museum, not the opera). We paused and defrosted for a bit.

Then we toured the world.

We explored the Americas, Egypt, India, the Africas, Indonesia, China, and Europe. I saw a crossbow I liked. I think she saw some shoes she liked. We walked slowly, we walked in circles. I learned that the name "Leonardo" etched onto an Egyptian tomb is not the name of the builder or excavator but a 19th century graffiti artist. Well played, sir.

The rest of the day was strange. Ended up taking her to a movie theater I did not know existed. We went to watch a movie we could not finish watching, and I learned that I still suffer from motion sickness. Then we went for a lunch at a restaurant that wasn't serving lunch. We had breakfast instead. But J liked her omelette, and I mostly liked my salmon sandwich. Then we conversed. Every thing I learn about J intrigues me.

I decide to drive her home to make up for lunch and the movie, and we hit traffic. (J later informed me a small plane landed on the highway. I swear, the world was conspiring to ruin our date.) But J is a deft guide, and showed me the way home along the scenic route.

I told her I enjoyed the day. Then either five seconds or years passed and then she replied that she enjoyed the day, too. We hugged good night.

Then I pulled out my car, and there was no traffic on the ride going back home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment